Ladies lax above .500 record

Lacrosse has six games left in their season.

Ladies lacrosse broke above the .500 mark last night with a 22-12 win over the Hiram College Terriers at Henry Field in Hiram, Ohio. The game was marked by outstanding offensive play on the part of the Ladies, featuring four goals from Kat Englert ’18 and three from both Allie McLane ’17 and Cassie Hudson-Heck ’19. On the Terriers’ side, the bulk of points came from Sierah Ray and Autumn Osgood, who scored five goals each. The game started off close, with Hiram taking a 2-1 lead at the 23:21 mark. From there, Kenyon reeled off six straight goals to give themselves a comfortable lead, which they would sustain for the rest of the game as Hiram could never bring the margin below six.

Notably, Englert’s four points sets her season total at 47 and her career total at 201. She is the fifth Lady in Kenyon history to reach 200 points and has situated herself at fourth in goals all-time.

The Ladies lacrosse team has just about struck even in their spring 2017 season, sporting a 6-5 record overall and a 2-1 record in the North Coast Athletic Conference. Prior to Hiram, conference play featured a dominating 15-10 victory against DePauw University in Greencastle, Ind. and a heartbreaking 14-13 loss to The College of Wooster at home.

“Our main goal for the rest of the season is to compete at a high level,” Gianna Biaggi ’17, a midfielder for the Ladies, wrote in an email to the Collegian.

More concretely, the Ladies are looking forward to a chance to exact revenge against Wooster in the playoffs. “We will hopefully face off against our arch-nemesis, The College of Wooster Fighting Scots, in the first round,” Biaggi wrote, “and I am looking forward to completely denying their kilted independence.”

The Ladies have six games left and are hoping that the broad support base they have will carry them through to the end of the season. “Our greatest strength this season is definitely on the sidelines,” Biaggi wrote. “We have an amazing team that is so willing to help and support one another, on and off the field!”

The Ladies will hope to show their strengths next Monday, when they take on Oberlin College at home.