Sam Clougher awarded with postgrad grant for soccer play

After outstanding collegiate career, goalie recognized for athletic and academic prowess.

Two weeks ago, Sam Clougher ’17, the former starting goalkeeper for Lords soccer, was awarded a National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) Postgraduate Scholarship for his success both on the soccer field and in the classroom. The scholarship, which is a $7,500 grant to fund graduate school education, is awarded to the most deserving and accomplished student athletes, who are nominated by a representative at their schools.

Sam Clougher ’17 celebrates with fans after a victory over Trinity College on Nov. 19.

Clougher’s collegiate athletic career is marked by numerous team and individual accomplishments. Clougher, in his four years on the team, led the Lords to an overall record of 73-12-6, which includes three North Coast Athletic Conference (NCAC) tournament titles and two NCAC regular season titles. The Lords also made it to the quarterfinals of the NCAA Division III tournament in each of the last two years.

Clougher, a history and economics double major, established himself as one of the greatest goalies in Kenyon history with his overall body of work in the box. Clougher’s 45 career shutouts are the most in Lords history, and he also holds single-records with 15 shutouts and 0.31 goals against average — both set during the 2014 season. Clougher received plenty of recognition for his play this season as well. He made the 2016 All-Ohio Men’s Scholar All American team, the National Soccer Coaches Association of America (NSCAA) third team and the NSCAA Division III All Great Lakes Region second team.

Despite his numerous individual athletic accomplishments, Clougher was quick to praise his teammates when he discussed what he misses most about playing for the Lords. “I’ve never been the most athletic nor the most talented, but I thought about the game constantly and tried to figure out how we could improve,” Clougher said. “I miss knowing I was surrounded by talented players who wanted to win as much as me and who I could trust to improve every day.”

Clougher said he does not have any plans for graduate school at this time, but knows that he needs a year off before returning to school so he does not “burn out and waste [his] opportunity.”

He has not closed the door on his athletic career — Clougher continues to train in the hope of playing soccer full-time after college.