Lords lacrosse defeated in overtime game at Albion College

Chris Ferraro ’18 has two goals and assists as Lords overcome large deficit to tie game late.

Lords lacrosse (1-1) suffered a tough defeat on Saturday evening, losing to the Albion College Britons 17-16 in a sudden death overtime period. While the Lords overcame a six-goal deficit to force overtime, they were unable to fully complete the comeback. Detroit Country Day High School in Beverly Hills, Mich., a neutral site, was the location of the game.

The Lords withstood an early barrage from the Britons, allowing just one goal early in the game despite Albion taking the first 11 shots. The Lords battled back to take a 3-2 lead into the end of the first quarter behind goals from Pierce Kraft ’18, Jonah Florence ’18 and Emilio Sosa ’19. After 15 more minutes of play, the Lords trailed 6-5 at the half.

Early in the third quarter the Lords imploded defensively, allowing eight goals to the Britons to fall behind 14-8. A last-minute goal by Chris Ferraro ’18 cut the deficit to five goals entering the final period. The fourth quarter was the best 15 minutes the Lords played all game. Goals by Robert Jacobs ’17 and Florence trimmed the Albion lead to three, with 11:32 left in regulation. A goal by the Britons extended the lead to four, but Ian Griffith ’20 and Ferraro scored to bring the Lords to within two goals. Down 16-13 with six minutes left after yet another goal from the Britons, Griffith scored two more goals to set up the game-tying goal from Alex Lopez ’17 with little more than a minute left.

At the end of regulation play, with the two teams tied at 16, the game headed into a sudden death overtime period. The Lords were able to hold off the Britons for about a minute of overtime before Albion’s junior mid-fielder Brandon Lebioda scored the game-winning goal.

Despite the tough loss, the team is not discouraged. “There were a number of things that we could have done better as a team against Albion, but I think the most important thing for us to focus on is playing consistently at our highest level the whole game and not just during one or two quarters,” Ferraro said. “I was definitely impressed by our ability to come back from such a large deficit, even though we didn’t end up winning the game in the end.”

The Lords play their next game at home against Aurora University (Aurora, Ill.) on March 8, during Kenyon’s Spring Break. The game will begin at 1 p.m.