Lords Lacrosse dominates Polar Bears in opening victory

Pierce Kraft ’18 and Emilio Sosa ’19 each score three goals in offensive outburst at home.

The Lords lacrosse team got their season off to a fiery start on Tuesday afternoon, routing the Ohio Northern University Polar Bears 15-7. The Lords, who went 11-4 last season, jumped out to an early 8-0 lead against the Polar Bears.

Tuesday afternoon was a big scoring day for several Lords. Both Pierce Kraft ’18 and Emilio Sosa ’19 had hat tricks, scoring three goals each. But the most dominant offensive performance of the day came from Robert Jacobs ’17, who scored two goals and dished out six assists in the opening game of his swan-song season. At the half, the Lords led 9-1, before the Polar Bears mirrored their output in the second half with six goals.

Penalties were a big issue for both teams in Tuesday afternoon’s game. Twenty-four infractions were called in total, as the refs called a tight game and hesitated to swallow their whistles all game.

While Tuesday was a banner day for the Lords’ offense, Jacobs was more impressed with the team’s play on the other side of the ball.

“What impressed me most yesterday was the defense,” Jacobs said after the game. “We graduated a lot of defensive talent last year, but the new guys  stepped up for the first game, despite all of the penalties, and were able to put together a good game.”

Centering that defensive effort was goalkeeper Reed Levesque ’19, who made his first career start. Although Levesque allowed seven goals, he also collected 11 saves en route to the first win of his career.

The Lords roster has become quite youthful this season. 17 of the 40 players on the team are first years, and the team has just six seniors that will graduate in May.

The Lords will next play on Friday at 6 p.m., when they host Albion College for their second game of the new season.