Ladies and Lords Track and Field place in 3rd and 6th, respectively

At Kenyon’s only home meet of the indoor season this past Saturday, the Lords and Ladies track teams put forward their strongest performances of the indoor season. The Ladies had six event victories while the Lords logged four top-three finishes.

The teams started the day off strong, placing high in both men’s and women’s field events. Chloe Hannah-Drullard ’20 put Kenyon on the board by winning the women’s shot put with an impressive 9.91-meter throw. Devron Martin ’18 placed first in women’s triple jump with a distance of 9.95 meters and third in the long jump behind Mary Lauletta ’17, who took second with a 4.59-meter distance.

The Ladies carried this momentum into their runs, dominating the distance events. Grace Moses ’20, who earlier in the month earned North Coast Athletic Conference (NCAC) Distance Runner of the Week for her performance at Denison University’s Bob Shannon Invitational, won the 800-meter run with a time of 2:23.83. Molly Hunt ’18 and Tate Serletti ’20 followed with first-place finishes in the mile run (5:22.48) and 3,000-meter run (10:58.11), respectively. Also scoring in the 3,000-meter run, Claire Naughton ’17 and Andrea Ludwig ’19 finished in fourth and fifth. Quinn Harrigan ’19 completed the Ladies’ sweep of the distance events with a victory in the 5,000-meter run with a time of 19:30.73. The Ladies also scored a fourth-place finish in the 4×200-meter relay run by Lauletta, Caitlyn Haas ’20, Subei Kyle ’17 and Julia Josowitz ’18. Earlier, Kyle scored with a fifth-place finish in the 200-meter dash. 

The Ladies fought to stay on top of the standings the entire meet. Going into the 38th and final event, the 4×400 women’s relay, Kenyon and Penn State Erie, The Behrend College stood dead even at 100.5 points each. The Ladies gave it their all, but PSU-Behrend took fourth and Waynesburg University took second and third in the event. This dropped the Ladies to a close third-place finish, three points behind first-ranked PSU-Behrend.    

On the Lords’ side, Tanner Orr ’19 took third in the long jump with a distance of 6.12 meters and Reed Crocker ’20 tied for second in the high jump with a height of 1.90 meters. Jordan Potter ’19 put the men’s throwers on the board with his 12.67 meter heave, placing fourth in shot put. A couple sprinters pulled in points — Kevin Towle ’19 placed fifth in the 400 and Brian Hunca ’17 finished seventh in the 60-meter dash — but the true strength of the Lords’ team came from their distance runners. Isak Davis ’19 won the mile run with a time of 4:30.00. In the 3,000-meter run, Tommy Johnson ’20 and Kyle Rose ’19 pulled in points by placing fifth and sixth respectively. Finally, Ben Weinberg ’18 placed sixth in the 800-meter run, bringing the Lord’s total score to 52, propelling them to a sixth-place finish.

Members of the Lords and Ladies will next compete on Friday afternoon, when they travel to Granville, Ohio to compete in Denison’s Last Chance Invitational.