Ladies secure two-seed in tournament with weekend victory

Bailey Dominguez ’17 comes up clutch in Senior Day basketball victory against DePauw.

Ladies basketball cruised their way to a 61-43 victory against the College of Wooster last night, dominating the glass to extend their record to 18-6. In the victory, Lane Davis ’19 had 16 points and eight rebounds to lead the attack.

After their seven-game win streak ended at the hands of Oberlin College on Feb. 8, Ladies basketball came back with a 70-64 win against DePauw University on Saturday. The game against DePauw was also part of the Ladies’ Senior Day, as the team honored its five seniors prior to the game. With the victory, the Ladies snapped DePauw’s 19 game-winning streak and clinched the number two seed in the postseason North Coast Athletic Conference (NCAC) tournament.

While the team’s seniors were honored for their four years of contributions to the College, they proved that, while their collegiate careers are coming to an end, they are not finished yet. Sidney Cera ’17 contributed 11 points, and Charlotte Bussema ’17 scored nine points of her own while dishing out three assists. Bailey Dominguez ’17 earned a game-high 16 points, including four three-pointers.

The most meaningful of Dominguez’s made baskets came late in the fourth quarter, with the Ladies clinging to a slim single-point lead at 63-62, following a made basket for the DePauw Tigers. Dominguez, moving off of the ball, swung around the baseline to the right corner and received the pass from Paige Matijasich ’20. Dominguez rose up over a DePauw defender and buried the three-pointer, igniting the crowd of students and faculty and essentially securing the victory for the Ladies with 29 seconds remaining.

Dominguez claims that, in hindsight, she probably should not have taken the shot. In the timeout right before the play, Head Coach Suzanne Helfant had called a specific offensive set and had told the team that she planned to take another timeout if the team did not have a clean open shot with 10 seconds left on the shot clock. Despite Helfant trying to call a timeout over the roar of the crowd, Dominguez took the opportunity to drain the shot from a distance.

Although the team came away with the impressive win over DePauw, Dominguez wants to keep things in perspective. “We hit a great point on Senior Day, but we want it to be a step, not a peak,” Dominguez said on Wednesday. “With the conference tournament next week, we know we have to be playing our best basketball in order to win the championship.”

The Ladies will play their final game of the regular season on Saturday at 1 p.m., when they will take on Hiram College in Hiram, Ohio. Following that game, the Ladies will know which team they will play on Feb. 21 in the opening round of the NCAC tournament.