The administration is not effectively preventing hazing

As a brother of Phi Kappa Tau, Rush is one of my favorite events at Kenyon. Potential new members get to be courted by Greek organizations while they have an excuse to go bowling and eat wings, among other things. However, there’s a not-so-subtle undertone to Rush that only rears its head once the new members commit. I’m talking about everyone’s favorite Greek pastime: hazing.

I’m not here to preach from my ivory tower about how hazing is wrong — that’s the administration’s job. But in reality, the administration does just enough to be able to say they don’t condone hazing without actually putting their foot down and stopping it. This pledging season I want to see the College walk the walk and actually attempt to stop the hazing that goes on right in front of us.

Shortly after Rush Week, Assistant Director of Student Engagement Ally Hays sent an email to all Greeks reminding them about Kenyon’s oh-so-strict anti-hazing policy. Here are some of the things that the College will not allow that I’ll address in this column:

· New members cannot be restricted from communicating with others (taking away cell phones, changing Facebook/social media passwords, no face-to-face communication with those other than members, etc.).

· New members should not have to wear anything specific (besides approved exceptions, like business casual attire for meetings or ceremonies).

· New members should not be expected to sleep anywhere other than their own assigned residential space. Organizations can also not expect the new members to remain in a space (lounge, etc.) for any reason other than new member education and/or other pre-approved events.

· New member programs should not interfere with the academic life of any student.

Under Kenyon guidelines, new members can’t be required by the active members of their organization to wear anything specific or carry anything on their person. New members also can’t be required to sleep anywhere that isn’t their own residence hall. So, when late March and early April roll around, why are numerous new members locked into sitting at their respective tables on Old Side and sleeping on the floor of their organization’s division housing? I lived near one fraternity at the end of last year, my friends have rushed sororities; I and the rest of campus knows these things happen, and there’s no way the administration doesn’t.

It’s not a gargantuan task  to find anything that would be called hazing according to the policy. If the administration is really against hazing then I want to see them stop it. Start with Peirce, if you see new members wearing something that looks out of place, ask them about it. You’ll get stonewalled, but it’d be comforting to know that the administration is practicing what they preach. If you see people who are obviously first-years lined up in the freezing February night, send them inside. Their master will come soon enough and you’ll have the culprit walk right up to you.

I doubt hazing will ever go away but I’d like to see more action from the administration in stopping what happens in front of all of us.

Griffin Burrough ’18 is an economics major from Austin, TX. Contact him at burroughe@kenyon.edu.

Griffin Burrough

Griffin Burrough '18 served as Opinions editor for the fall semester of 2015.

1. Not Griffin Burrough Reply

God, I wish I was as progressive and active as you, so brave

1. GLeeDriver Reply

This article is not politically correct enough.

2. Gary Teekay Reply

Penologists tell us that certainty of punishment is a greater deterrent than severity of punishment. If it was nearly certain that hazers would be caught, hazing would go away.

3. Greek girlfriend Reply

Have you considered that in many cases, pledges might find sleeping in a lounge or wearing strange outfits to be part of the bonding experience, and that they are willing to do it, rather than being forced into it? I am a non-Greek person, but my husband was a member of a fraternity that we both came to love. He recalls hell week fondly, and the stories about what was worn and where everyone slept have been told over and over at reunions, etc. It is critical that we protect students from intimidation and undue stress. But going “through” something together creates bonding. No one should be forced, but on the other hand just because it is occurring doesn’t mean it’s “forced” and negative/unhappy.

4. Bored reader Reply

Personally I don’t have a stance on hazing. But this column is lazy. Half of it is a copy and paste of an email the entire campus received. You also did not provide any evidence that the administration is neglecting anti-hazing policies.

5. Cynthia Reply

No real person would ever go through hazing. By real, I mean some one who respects themselves and does not care overmuch what others think about them. Does one have the courage to show themselves to their peers with the knowledge that they may not be accepted? Until you are able to stand you are not free. And yes you should be able to ask for help from the administration, but really?? How much.