Lords tennis claims first victory of season against Wabash

Weston Noall ’18 and Austin Diehl ’20 secure wins in both singles and doubles matches.

Lords tennis redeemed themselves on Sunday with a 7-2 victory over their guests, the Wabash College Little Giants. After the team began the season two weeks ago with a loss at home, the Lords got over the hump and won their first match of the season. Led by the team’s strong group of juniors, the Lords dominated the Little Giants from the onset of the match and improved to 17-0 all time against Wabash.

Weston Noall ’18 secured points for the Lords in both his singles and his doubles match. Noall teamed up with fellow junior Peter Hazlett to win their doubles match for the second consecutive weekend; the duo of Noall and Hazlett won their match last Saturday against the University of Northern Ohio to open their season. Noall would secure the match victory for the Lords by defeating his Wabash opponent in No. 6 singles.

Austin Diehl ’20 joined Noall in claiming two points for the Lords. After winning his doubles match with senior Tristan Kaye, Diehl went on to win at No. 4 singles. After winning both of his matches last weekend as well, Diehl is now 4-0 in the first spring season of his collegiate career. Michael Liu ’18 also won his singles match for the second consecutive week.

Diehl attributes his strong start to the season to the positive influence his teammates have had on him. “I’ve been inspired by my teammates work ethics and attitudes in practice,” Diehl said on Wednesday. “I know that if we keep up that quality, we are going to have a very successful season.

The team will head to Holland, Mich. on Saturday to play their third match of the season against Hope College (Holland, Mich.). The Ladies team will also join them on the trip. It will be the first time Kenyon has played Hope College in tennis since 2004.

Noah Nash

Noah Nash '19, Sports Editor.